Aegon Global Technology (AGT) provides technology infrastructure support as well as business consulting services to the Aegon USA & European enterprise and business partners. The information technology services encompasses regional services, enterprise-wide application services, architecture, product assessment, customer service, internet and messaging, server management, telecommunications, security, data service and more.
The AGT systems programming staff is responsible for supporting Aegon’s Mainframe environment’s
software, hardware, configurations, and processes to ensure stability and reliability for all
This position is part of the AGT systems programming staff supporting Aegon’s mainframe database
Responsibilities include installing, testing, maintaining, documenting, and providing technical level
support for mainframe DB2, IMS, and Datacom.
- Provide day to day support for the mainframe environment including on-call support during non-
prime business hours and weekends.
- Problem resolution – resolving problems to final resolution and determine root cause.
- Daily monitoring of key mainframe database system metrics to identify improvement
- Problem prevention – reviewing system dumps, logrec, hiper maintenance on a regular basis
- Fulfilling support requests/questions from customers.
- Supporting disaster recovery testing exercises.
- Ability to conceptualize project end states and develop sound implementation plans.
- Project work both internal AGT and Business Unit driven.
- Installing third-party mainframe software and software fixes.
- Adapting platforms to meet Aegon business requirements.
- Continuously making improvements to deliver best-in-class service availability and cost.
- Other duties as assigned based on divisional needs.
- Conforms with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures, instruction, and all
health and safety rules.
- Exhibits regular, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance.
- Demonstrable experience of managing, administering and supporting the mainframe systems – a minimum of 5-7 years of experience would be required for a candidate to be considered for this role. Strong DB2 system database skills are necessary. Prefer IMS and Datacom experience.
- High level of behavioural skills and technical skills present.
- A self-motivated person able to self-manage tasks and workload, takes ownership, initiative and
technical leadership with minimal direction.
- Experience working in an IT Infrastructure in a Technical Support function.
- Knowledge of computing systems architecture, of programming, networking, storage and
operating system principles, and ideally on large-scale systems operations and procedures.
- Able to apply concepts for design or architectural efforts when implementing mainframe
- Knowledge of z/OS related software components.
- Familiar with industry standard third party software.
- Installation, configuration, and maintenance of mainframe components with no assistance.
- Proficient in the use of SMP/E for software installation.
- Proficient in the use of JCL, TSO/ISPF and SDSF.
- Performance, tuning, and monitoring tools with the ability to evaluate and make
recommendations/changes based upon that information.
- Takes ownership, initiative, and technical leadership in resolving complex system issues – from
root cause to resolution.
- Advanced level in problem prevention and resolution skills specific to system dumps, diagnostic
information and service packs.
- Proactively uses vendor resources to improve process and develop strategic directions. Has an
awareness of industry trends and product capabilities.
- Work with advanced level 3 rd party and vendor support teams to resolve complex system issues.
- Considered an expert in database systems programming.
- Develops plans and schedules for implementing major installation systems. Estimates time and
resources requirements to install major systems or modifications.
- Ability to quickly grasp the essence of a customer request
- Explores new ideas and concepts in system programming and installation management.
Evaluates existing systems to provide greater efficiencies of function required by users.
- Understanding and working knowledge of the applications running on the AGT Mainframe
platforms and respective software involved.
- Experience with Disaster Recovery architectures, techniques and processes.
- Demonstrated skills in both verbal and written communication to be able to convey complex
topics to AGT customers and stakeholders.
- Ensure the development of documentation as appropriate.
- Mature Analytical Thinking skill: Acquiring understanding of a problem or situation by breaking it
down systematically into its component parts and identifying the relationships.
- Persistence: Consistently meeting targets and fulfilling agreements even when adverse
- Attention to Detail: Applying relevant quality standards to all tasks undertaken including the
change management and incident process.
- Awareness / familiarisation with appropriate legislation including the Data Privacy Act.
- Taking a leading role in major business and technical initiatives and sizeable projects to improve
IT Infrastructure services.
- Experience working in a highly-collaborative working environment with colleagues and customers
from different cultural backgrounds
- Complies with information security policies.
- Home office
- Flexible working hours
- Health Insurance
- Yoga classes
- Life Fitness discount
- Training & Development opportunities
- Highly people-centric environment